Hi, this is handsome Tucker. Tucker was dropped over our fence one evening. Luckily, we were still here or he would have gotten out of the gate and been hit in the road. When we noticed that he was in the fence we ran out to see what was going on. We were so upset when we saw him. He was skin and bones and had the number 231 shaved and spray painted into his skin. We made it outside before the person dropping him off got away. She said that he was a stray that she found on her way home and that she didn’t know what to do with him. She said that she had spoken to an adoption agency and if we could keep him for a couple days they would come pick him up. Needless to say, we never heard from her again. We do not understand why he was treated this way, he is an absolute sweetheart. We have finally been able to put some weight on him. Since he was found roaming the streets, he will try and run. We have to find him a home that will take the extra precautions to prevent this and someone that understands.
Color: White & Tan
Age: 5 years
Sex: Neutered Male
Just a few reminders.
Dr. Perrett will not be in the office August 12th through August 15th. He will return August 16th.
He will also be out of the office October 9th through October 23rd. He will return October 25th.
He will be out of the office November 5 through November 14 to attend a mission trip. He will return on November 15.
Although there are many different toxins, there are three important toxins that you should know about; Xylitol, Sago Palm, and Cocoa Mulch.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener in many products, including sugar-free gum, mints, nicotine gum, chewable vitamins, oral-care products, baked goods, and even low-calorie smoothies! It can also be purchased in a granulated form for baking and as a sweetener for cereals and beverages. Although xylitol is safe in humans, it is not safe in animals. Reactions range from hypoglycemia to acute hepatic necrosis, and even liver failure with coagulopathy. In 2006, JAVMA published 8 discussed cases of xylitol toxicity, 5out of 8 of the animals discussed were either euthanized or died because of liver failure!
Sago Palm are found more in homes now than in previous years. The Sago Palm is a stocky, spiky leaved plant in the Cycad family. Recently miniature or “bonsai” versions of the Sago Palm have also become popular. Sago and other cycad palms contain toxic compounds that can contain vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, seizures, and even liver failure or death! The ASPCA has reported an increase of 200% in reported Sago Palm toxicity. Treatment is supportive (fluids, milk thistle), urosedoxycholic acid, monitor for coagulopathy, and antiemetics to control vomiting.
Cocoa Mulch is a toxin found in mulch used for landscaping. It is attractive to animals because of its odor, texture,and color. many pet owners are unaware of the danger of cocoa mulch!
If you ever suspect that your pet has come in contact with these or ANY toxins you should take them to the vet immediately. Treatment and likelihood that your pet will survive the toxicity depend on how much the pet ingest and how quick you begin treatment!
Oreo was found on the side of the road by Mrs. Perrett. She was very young and extremely malnourished. Since she has been in a kennel most of her life she is very energetic. We have been working with her on this and she has learned some basic commands. It will take more work from her forever family, but until then we will continue working with her. She is a sweetheart and loves attention. She has been looked at by many prospective owners, but no one ever comes back for her 🙁
Breed: Dalmatian Mix
Sex: Spayed Female
Age: 1 Year
Mitzi is an absolute sweetheart. She has a great personality. She is a little skittish at first, we believe it has to do with her past.
Color: Black & White
Age: 2 Years